SABIS Student Life Organization®
The SABIS Student Life Organization® (SLO®) is an integral part of the SABIS® Educational System™ and an important part of every school day. Emphasizing the acquisition of 'life skills' through real-life experiences, the SLO® is a student-led society that empowers students to hold responsibility for many aspects of school life.
While providing opportunities for emotional, social, and moral growth, SLO® helps students develop their academic, managerial, organizational, and leadership skills in a variety of academic and non-academic activities. These include peer tutoring, planning athletic activities and social events; organizing community service projects; and being involved in the school newspaper and school yearbook.
Through the SABIS Student Life Organization®, students learn to:
- Promote high social, ethical, and moral values
- Become active and constructive members of a community
- Develop academic, managerial, organizational, and leadership skills
- Acquire and refine the attitudes that give them an edge in college and throughout life
- Form circles of lasting friendship
- Get involved in a variety of student-led activities
Having demonstrated that they have a broad range of abilities and experiences and they can be effective and valuable team players, students become more likely candidates at top universities around the world.
SLO® builds community
At all grade levels in SABIS® member schools students learn that working cooperatively creates a strong community. SLO® extends the community experience into real life responsibilities and adds a social element as well. Within each department, students meet and make new friends. Under the leadership of the Student Life Coordinator and the prefects, energized teams of students contribute to every part of school life.
Eight SLO® Departments
- Academic Department: School-wide academic support is offered by teachers and students in SABIS® Network schools. Students have the opportunity to be peer tutors and academic prefects, helping those in need while organizing academic events and promoting excellence.
- Activities Department: Students plan and oversee activities encouraging students to become club leaders and develop life skills.
- Discipline Department: Discipline prefects oversee established school behavior standards and support the Student Management Coordinators in building and nurturing a culture of achievement in the school.
- Management Department: Students help run the SLO® office through data management of Student Life points, making daily announcements, and more.
- Outreach Department: New and visiting students are welcomed by Student Ambassadors, who help them settle in to school life. The Outreach Department also organizes school spirit days and encourages the integration of new students.
- Social Responsibility Department: Local and global community service is an important element of life in SABIS® member schools. Students are involved in several initiatives to give back to their local community as well as on a global level.
- Sports & Health Department: This team supports the school’s athletic teams and also promotes healthy lifestyle choices.
- Events Department: Student leaders organize various events for the school including SLO® workshops and dances.
The impact of SLO® and student participation
SABIS® firmly believes that education can change the world. Through SLO®, students develop life skills that have a true ripple effect. They make a difference in the school, to each other, and to themselves. Students in SABIS® Network schools know that SLO® participation helps them make a commitment to contribute to the world around them in school, later in college and ultimately as working adults.